A Turning Point In My Life

It has been more than four months now but the memories are still very fresh and vivid. June 2007 have been a turning point in my life and it all started on June 22.

June 22 – I had just returned from Bangkok the previous night and I drove to Mentakab early in the morning (7.30 am) to see my mum. She was not well before my trip and she appeared to have gotten worse. She was oblivious of my presence, she could not see and she has grown noticeably weaker physically.I was afraid that Wiwy (actual name Winarti) could not managed to take care of my mum.

I made the decision then to check out for a nursing home for mum. Maybe they could do better. Went to work (8.30 am), returned home during lunch (12.30 pm) to check up on mum again and again after (6.00 pm) work. There was no improvement.

Decided the need for the nursing home was even more urgent and that I will need do it in the morning of June 23.

Left Mentakab (7.30 pm) for KL to surprise my better half who was attending a reunion dinner for Don and Ling.

Arrived in time for dessert and we then adjourned to Siong’s place. The break was a relief for me and it was really great to catch up with Don and Ling.Don and Ling left Malaysia in the mid 90s to seek greener pasture in the USA and a better future for their children. They were always in the thick of all our gatherings before they left and it really felt like the good old times revisited. They now have three absolutely adorable children. We sat and chatted overnight before adjourning for Dim Sum.

June 23

8.00 a.m. – Returned home after an all night reunion with Don and Ling at JS’s place.

9.00 a.m. – Caught an hour’s sleep before being woken up by call from Wiwy who advised that Mum was not answering her calls and it appeared that she has gone into a coma. Asked Wiwy whether Mum is alive and she advised that she is still breathing.

9.30 a.m. – We immediately drove to Mentakab.

11.00 a.m – Being a Saturday, traffic was quite light, we reached the house in record time. Wiwy was in a shocked state and mum appeared to be in a deep sleep. Her body was still warm but hands and feet were cold. It appeared that she was not breathing or breathing very shallowly. Thought I detected a weak pulse.

11.15 a.m – Immediately called an ambulance in case she could be resuscitated. Asked the neighbor, Mr. & Mrs. Lee for help.

11.40 a.m – Mrs. Lee was attending to Mum when the ambulance arrived. At that point, Wiwy passed out cold.

11.55 a.m. – The ambulance attendant pronounced that Mum has passed on. I was calm and composed hearing the news. Maybe the memories of seeing Aunt OC wasting away in nursing home for 6 years made me a bit relief that Mum was spared the misery.

We could not revived Wiwy and May found 3 packets of empty panadol packets which led us to suspect that Wiwy overdosed.

12.15 p.m. – The ambulance immediately took Wiwy away and May followed along. Before the ambulance left, I managed to get a contact from the attendant to transport the body.I was left alone with my Mum and I begin to make calls; firstly to my cousin in Seremban to arrange for the funeral parlour. I then called and arranged for the transport. Finally, I called my sisters to inform them.

12.25 p.m. – The transporter for the body arrived to check out situation. We negotiated and agreed on a RM 600 fee to transport my mum’s body to Seremban.

1.15 p.m. – The van finally arrived and within 5 minutes, my mum’s body was loaded into the van with a yellow colored prayer cloth. I was obliged to follow the body under the Chinese custom but with May in the hospital with Wiwy, I was unable to accompany my mum.

1.20 p.m. – I locked up the place and proceeded to the hospital. Wiwy has not revived but the hospital has pumped her stomach with carbon to induce vomiting. Wiwy had to be admitted for observation.

2.30 p.m – We left the hospital and went back to the house. We cleaned up mum’s room and took her personal effects for her burial.

3.30 p.m – Left Mentakab for K.L. Went home to pack some clothes for ourselves.

5.50 p.m. – Went for a quick meal in Sri Petaling as both of us have not taken our lunch.

6.45 p.m – Left for Seremban as the skies turned dark.

To be continued in ~ The Wake

This entry was posted in Life, Me, I & Myself and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to A Turning Point In My Life

  1. short horse says:

    I know that no words can ever make your loss any less painful but time heals. Your mum was blessed to live to a ripe old age of 86 and she was spared the agony of having a hospital stay or even a nursing home stint. Although she was growing weak physically since the Chinese New Year but then you can attribute it to age. She was fortunate to pass on peacefully in her sleep after a meal of oats for breakfast. We all wish for this kind of passing…….Despite her weak physique, you should be proud you provided her a peaceful, loving & tranquil abode from which she passed on….

  2. asme says:

    Well, no matter what there is still a feeling of a loss especially since I have lived with her for the last 5 years. For me, having to share the last 5 years of her life was a blessing for me. At least, I had the opportunity to do what I could.

  3. ky says:

    Sorry to hear that. Why Wiwy want to take her own life pulak? Will keep in touch after my trip to Hong Kong. Take care there.

  4. Brian says:

    Good posting. Can’t wait to read more about this topic.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s